Sunday, October 9, 2011

Homemade pop tarts

I love pop tarts...but I don't love how much sugar is in them, not to mention all of the ingredients I've never heard of! So Saturday morning, I decided to make them. Holy cow. They were so good, Mike and I couldn't help but eat one each...and then share another!
Whisk together
2 C flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
Work in 1 C of very cold butter cut into pieces. Dough should look be the size of peas when you are finished.
Whisk together 2 Tbsp Milk and 1 egg
Add to flour mixture (May need to knead it a little bit).
Here's how they started out:
It forms a dough the consistency of a pie crust (I'm using my grandma's rolling pin!):
After rolling them out to about 1/8" thick, whisk 1 egg and brush over the top of the dough. Cut into rectangles, about 3x4". Fill them with your preserves, but leave some space around the edges so that you can seal them later (We used peach, black raspberry and grape. Black raspberry and peach were awesome-grape was not!):
Seal them up, poke holes in the top, and press the edges down with a fork:
Refrigerate for 30 min. and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 min. until golden brown.
These are so good, you could even eat them as dessert. To finish them off I made a glaze with powdered sugar and water.
They do take some time, but they are soo worth the wait!

1 comment: