Sunday, April 29, 2012

Healthy Substitutions

When I bake, I try to cut out some of the unhealthy things such as....butter. sugar. oils. You know, all of the really good things. Instead of using them, I have looked online and have found a few subs that work really well...and you can't even tell the difference! For REAL!
 Here's my list:
-Substitute milled flax seed for eggs in baked goods. A box of milled flax seed is two to three dollars, which is way cheaper than a few dozen eggs that you would use when cooking! And...you get omega 3's!
-Sub applesauce for oil. This is such a great substitute, and cuts way down on the fat. The only thing is that you can only sub half of the oil with applesauce.
-Use honey instead of sugar. You can reduce the amount you use, or you can do the exact amount the recipe calls for.
   **With sugar, feel free to cut back on it. It generally won't change the consistency of whatever you're baking and it will be better for you.**
-Try plain yogurt (greek is better than regular) instead of sour cream. You still get the tang, but it is so much better for you!
-I've heard that you can mash up or puree an avocado and use that in place of butter as well, but I have not tried that yet! Maybe next time I make something.

These are all things that I have tried (other than the avocado), and they work great. I hope that you try them, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment